Tuesday, May 24, 2011

PWA always logged in as System Account

Some days back one of my friend faced a weird issue, whenever he opened the PWA, it gets logged in as System Account user and not with windows user.
This happens even logged in as Different user using my window account and closed my session/browser.
And again when he re-opened the PWA, again logged in as System account.
Check following settings in IE
IE options > Security > Local Intranet > Authentication > Custom Level > User Authentication > Prompt for user name and password
Another thing may cause the issue is the System Account credentials have been stuck in machine so to remove it
  • Navigate to the control panel on your local machine.
  • Select User Accounts
  • Select Manage Your Credentials (Windows 7).  May have been “Advanced”
in other Windows versions.
  • Remove the credential tied to the site
While the time I am posting this post I have one question in my mind is that what if the current user from SharePoint site hasn’t access to PWA site.
Please let me know if you have any queries.

Auto forward Emails from Outlook to SharePoint Document Library

Some days before one of my client wanted to auto forward outlook emails to one of SharePoint document library. I ran through following steps to achieve the given task.
  • Make sure Target Doc Lib contains Email address and it’s working
  • Then go to Outlook and click on New > Contact
  • Add Email address of that document library into the Outlook Contacts.
  • Save it and now create a rule from Outlook > Tools > Rules and Alerts > New Rule
  • Select “Start from a blank rule” option.
  • Select Check messages when they arrive > Next
  • Select “Condition” for which you want to forward emails to Doc Lib in step 2.
  • Then select action “forwards it to people or distribution list” and click on people or distribution list
  • Select “Outlook Address book” from Address Book drop down and you will getSharePoint Document Library email address as a contact > Add it
  • Click on Next > Finish
Now send an email with that condition to check rule.
Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Search Error – ‘Cannot create a file when that file already exists

When try to start manual crawl got following error
‘Cannot create a file when that file already exists’ upon trying to run an index
Event view log:
The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.IndexingScheduleJobDefinition (ID 31df2d41-6991-4fe7-8e4b-683c913cdbe5) threw an exception. More information is included below. Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700B7)
ULS log:
CGatherer::CreateCrawlFromStartAddressList: CRAWL_ACQUIREID failed. m_dwProjectID=1, dwCrawlStatus=5 – File :\office\source\search\search\gather\server\gatherobj.cxx Line:6562
  • Check service account for “Office SharePoint Server Search” in services.msc.
  • Change it to “Local System Account” or use Farm Admin account to run the service.
  • Restart the OSearch service from service.msc and also from Central Admin.
Please let me know in case of any queries.

Exclude crawling content based on creation date

One of my colleagues wants to exclude file / documents from the search result based on their creation date.
Steps taken to achieve:
There is a provision in MOSS 2007 to exclude specific contents from indexing using Crawl Rule. But it’s not possible to exclude contents based on creation date.
We have set - Information management policy on a doc lib and set Expiration policy which will start the workflow and move documents to another doc lib (i.e. Archive) based on their creation date
(To create custom workflow to move doc from one lib to another please refer
And on Archive Doc Lib select “No” to appear in search result option which will not crawl the content of that doc lib.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

MOSS 2007 User Profile AD Sync Issue

  • User Profile Import Schedule was not running as per configured Schedules
  • We have to manually run the Incremental crawl which pulled the users from different ADs.
  • Profile Synchronization, Quick Profile Synchronization Jobs were running successfully.
  • There were totally 90000 profiles, pulled from different domains.
  • Imported User profile details (changes) were not getting published to the web applications.
  • We were able to see the changes in SSP database in “UserProfileValue“table.
  • On the other hand when we removed the user from site and added him back the changes are reflected in the web application.
Ran following commands to get rid of this issue
stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases
Resulted in number of GUIDs, so ran following command to delete those GUIDs
stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases
And then
stsadm -o sync
To check connection between AD and MOSS ran following command
stsadm -o getproperty -propertyname peoplepicker-searchadforests
If its resulted in NO, then we have to set connection between AD and MOSS using following command
stsadm –o setproperty –pn peoplepicker-searchadforests –pv

After that rechecked behavior using stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases and did not get any GUIDs and after that ran Full import which resolved the issues.
Please let me know in case of any questions.

Display SharePoint site user with only user name (without domain name)

Click on the arrow besides Welcome domain name \ user name and then click on My Settings

There are following options Account , Name, etc.

Check Name option, if it will show you Domain name \ user name then you has to change the display name in user’s AD attributes because this information is directly fetched from AD via SSP.

After change in Display name in AD attributes recheck user profile properties under SSP user
profiles and properties

Please let me know in case of any queries